Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Blogging: Not for everyone

Hello everyone! I hope that January is going splendid for you!


I've been talking to some people lately and the topic of blogging came up. While I strongly encourage people to write and create, it is in my strong opinion that some people should just not blog at all. I don't think that I'm any better or worse than the next person at writing, but I try to make sure that my blog meets some kind of criteria. So here are my top 5 reasons why you shouldn't have a blog: 


1. Content
 If you're expecting any sort of audience, you need to provide something with substance. I'm guilty of posting a video or sharing something funny now and again. However, if you can't create diddly squat to entertain people, or come up with something unique... don't waste my time. If you want to make a personal blog, that's fine. If you're wanting to entertain someone, make sure you're actually capable of that before writing. 


Additionally, if your longest blog post only has like 100 words or so, you probably need to up the ante. People like things short and to the point sometimes, but if they're taking the time to actually read something, they are probably going to want something with at least a little bit of substance. 


2. Grammar and punctuation
I'll be the first to tell you that not everyone is perfect when it comes to grammar and punctuation. That's okay! Everyone slips up now and again. I know that I do! However, some things are inexcusable. 

  • Words like tho, wut, and cuz are not really words. Please learn this. 
  • Commas exist! I know that it's crazy, but it's true. 
  • I shouldn't have to mention it, but I've seen blogs where the spelling or usage of a word is wrong. What makes it even better is the fact that they'll use/spell it right in another sentence. How is that possible? 
  • I know English isn't the easiest language to learn! However, if you were raised with it, you should understand simple, simple concepts. I don't even want to say anymore on this subject, so just read this: How to use the English language, son.
3. Introduction
I don't expect every blog post to start out with the most riveting line I've ever read, but I do have some sort of standard. If only two of your blog posts don't start out with the word "so," you probably have a problem.

Although it's not a post introduction, also make sure your blog title is interesting. It is the introduction to your blog as a whole, so you'd think it should be important. If it's difficult to spell or remember, it'll kill your audience unless you already have a widely established fan base. 

4. Presentation
If I wanted to sleep, I'd find a bed, not your blog. Learn that sentence variety livens things up. You could use question marks, ellipses, or even *gasp* an exclamation mark! I don't want to read something like this:

"So, I saw a guy on the street today. He wasn't wearing pants. Don't you think that is crazy, people. Anyway, I don't have much else to say. I'll talk to you again when I acquire more material."

That kind of blog post is snooze central, and the only thing shocking to the reader is that you had the audacity to start another post out with the word "so" again. 

5. Originality
For the love of God, be unique. I really, really try not to take any material from things I've read elsewhere. In fact, if I'm feeling an itch to write, I'll make sure to do so before reading someone else's blog. It's fine to use someone else's material as a basis, but when you basically just rewrite the lines in a new way, you're stealing. 

I don't want to be a party pooper, so I'll stop there. Additional fact, though: If you went to check to see if your blog is the basis of this post... you probably shouldn't have a blog. There are a million more things I could say on this subject, but I'll leave it at that. If you want to start a blog or have a blog, just take some of these notes into consideration. 

Until next time, enjoy this picture of Batman and kittens:
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kzorlg2WJl1qzpwi0o1_500.gif
 I'd post it directly on here, but the black background makes it look poopy.
 
~xoxoxoBritt<3

1 comment: